Wednesday 10 October 2012

Cooper Black and Franklin Gothic Book

The lucky dip of typefaces left me with Cooper Black and Franklin Gothic Book. Honestly, I don't really have particularly strong feelings about either of them but I will say that on getting the pair of them I instantly prefer Franklin, as at this moment in time Cooper Black is a bit too, erm much?

It's not necessarily a bad font, it's just not exactly the sort of typeface I would usually choose. It's quite thick and rounded in comparison to other typefaces and I find some of the shapes of the ascenders and descenders a little childish and unprofessional? It's too bold and I find the overall shapes of the letterforms to be a bit hard to focus on properly, but that might just be my terrible eyes.

However, that's not to say that Franklin Gothic is anything particularly amazing. To me, it looks more professional that Cooper Black but is still nothing particularly special about it. I think in some cases it looks a little too tall and thin, almost stretched. However, I do like how simple Franklin is, although it seems like it could be quite forgettable, just a safe option to use when you can't think of another typeface to use.

I'm hoping that the more I look at these typefaces the more interested I will become in them; I don't exactly hate them but I'm not particularly overly excited by them right now, but I know I will be, just need to get more 'connected' with them (ooh deep and brooding eh)





No comments:

Post a Comment